Painting old internal doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just bought some old internal doors. Reasonable condition, painted white with oil based paint. Obviously a bit tired and need repainting. Likely going with water based paint as can’t be doing with any yellowing.

I shall certainly be sanding, no need to totally strip, but would you suggest a coat of undercoat first on the keyed old paint or just go straight for the gloss topcoat?

Sponsored Links
I'd recommend UC first.

I often come across doors that have been glossed without UC and you can literally peel the gloss off (that said, I have no idea how well they were sanded prior to glossing).

I used Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 Primer to seal my old gloss painted internal doors and then painted them with a water based gloss. Worked a dream.

Sponsored Links
Would that be oil-based undercoat, then the water-based gloss?

There is nothing wrong with using OB U/C and then WB gloss but you need to wait a few days otherwise you may get fisheyes in the gloss.

Personally I am not a fan of WB over WB if you have sanded all the way back to the wood. I have had too many occasions where the WB U/C has swollen the grain. The parts of the wood that still have the old OB paint on look super smooth and then where you have filled and sanded back to the wood (and applied the WB)- you can see the grain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back