Painting exterior render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 1930's semi that needs the exterior walls repainting. In the past couple of years I have touched up a few bits but they seem to have flaked off....

I have also painted a wall where I wire brushed then sealed with that clear waterproof sealer. This seems to have lasted much better but to repeat the process for the whole house will be time consuming and expensive....

Should I:
a) just paint over with exterior paint (suggested types please)
b) repeat the wire brushing and / or sealing before repainting
c) or get the whole place re-rendered then painted?

any ideas on typical costs for a professional repaint of a 3 bed semi?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What have flaked off?..the new paint or all of it including the coating underneath?

New paint seem to crack and flake off. The wall where I have sealed then painted seems ok.

I have been doin a bit of reading...if spray painting the way to go instead of a brush (to ensure I get in all the cracks)?

Sponsored Links
No...

I honestly wouldnt bother hiring a spray set up mate...youll need an airless and in the wrong hands they could literally be lethal..

Plus on an outside..windy day...the overspray could blow for a hudred yards, smothering everything in sight, like the neighbours cars!

Its also a bit of a myth about spraying rough surfaces, if they are very rough the spray can form an airpocket in the crevices and youll end up with a build up of paint that you have to run a roller over.

A air feed roller might work but again they are not easy.

Personally Id stick to using a decent roller sleeve like a pro dec lifetimer...they are about 10 quid.

Hang around and see what the others think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back