painting for a novice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am moving into my new home with my partner on Friday, and wanted to get stuck in with painting the walls. They are currently with creamy white paint iirc no paper, what kind of paint should I use as there is such a wide variety...? do i have to do an undercoat/overcoat etc really dont know so any help would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
There a good chance the walls and ceilings are emulsion.....so that leaves your options quite wide open..

Choices..

Vinyl matt..for a flat finish..god for bad walls and a subtle clam finish

Vinyl Silk for a shiney finish good for walls that will take a lot of wiping...down side being it can look a bit clinical and does tend to show up any surface faults

Soft sheen for something in between...combination of the good and bad points from above.

If they are emulsion you dont need an undercoat......just straight on with the new stuff....

If your bying new roolers make sure you wash em out first or you will end up wuith loads of fluff on the wall.

Dont buy cheap paint...stick to branded stuff

So many things to cover really....let us know if there any specific points you need help with...theres alays someone on here to help out.

Pretty good chance of it really....

Give the walls a wipe with a damp rag...if some of the paint comes off it will tell you thats its probably contract emulsion....if it just soaks in then it will probably be vinyl matt.

In either case its fine to paint straight over with more emulsion...be it silk matt or soft sheen

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back