Painting fresh plaster with no heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to start painting some fresh plaster which has fully dried out and some old plaster as well but there is currently no heating in the house.
Am I ok to paint in this cold as its currently 0C in the house?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
personally I always let it dry out as much as possible. then mist coat and crack on from there.

With it being so cold you'll possibly waiting a little longer for it to dry fully.

How fresh is it?

Hi,

I'm about to start painting some fresh plaster which has fully dried out and some old plaster as well but there is currently no heating in the house.
Am I ok to paint in this cold as its currently 0C in the house?

Thanks

NOPE

Sorry, emulsion needs about somewhere between 5 and 10 degrees C to cure properly. Granted you could open windows and find that it will become touch dry within a couple of hours but the curing process could fail as the water particles freeze.

Waterbased paints start by evaporating, then it coalesces, the molecules compress down during this process. This takes days and will not happen properly without sufficient heat, airflow enough is not sufficient.

I recently told the bloke working for me not to apply masonry paint on an exterior wall last week. I explained that it needs a min of 5 degrees. He ignored me and 4 days later it was still wet to the touch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back