Painting freshly plastered walls again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy,

First off apologies if I am going over old ground.

I have just had my open plan lounge, dining room and kitchen walls and ceiling re-skimmed and I am now looking at painting. The skim was put on 2 weeks ago and is now about 99% uniformed dry, the process I am going to follow is:

• Mist coat 25% Dulux Trade Super Matt (White)
• Mist coat 10% Dulux Trade Super Matt (White)
• 2 or 3 Coats of final colour silk (once wife finally picks a colour)

Does this plan make sense? Should I be thinning the silk by 10% as well? And what is the best thing to mix the mist coats in? do I just use a large bucket or decant some paint and the put the water in to the paint tin?

I have also got dark patches in some areas which look like the metal edging strips under the plaster do you think this is staining or just still wet?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sounds ok but theres a few points

You only need to mist coat once...25-30%..supermatt is very thick

Do disrespect to your plasterer..but silk highlights every single mark on a freshly plastered wall..id go for matt or soft sheen

I would aslo thin the first coat of whatever you choose over the supermatt..its porous

Rub down between each coat

Mix the paint in a larger container

The marks showing though may just be a reaction between the metal strips and the plaster..they might end up looking a little lighter afte rthe paint goes on, if they do undercoat them.

Sponsored Links
The marks showing though may just be a reaction between the metal strips and the plaster..they might end up looking a little lighter afte rthe paint goes on, if they do undercoat them.

Sometimes its best to just brush the corners that have had the metal strip with some slightly thinned Undercoat.

You can be lucky and it covers with the emulsion, but I was a bit lazy and didnt do this on all the reveals and corners, I did UC on a couple, and it covered the metal, and you cant see the it thru the emulsion, but the once I didnt UC, I had to do again as it showed.

That will teach me for being lazy. :rolleyes:

Zampa - Great tip with the undercoat - thanks for that, am in the same boat next weekend with a lot of new plaster to paint - and lots of edges!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back