Painting freshly plastered walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for a little advice with regard to painting newly plastered walls.

What would you advise with regard to painting newly plastered walls with 'kitchen/bathroom'paint?

I was planning to do this later this week after painting 1/2 coats of 50/50 water & paint mix (standard emulsion). Then finishing with the 'kitchen/bathroom'paint. Is this advisable?

Would like to ensure that I get the best finish possible.

Thanks

P.S. this is in a kitchen

Sponsored Links
Most people in here can't paint (including pro's) so they say that Kitchen paint is rubbish. If you want a semi sheen that is hard wearing and easily cleaned then K&B paint is good. Thin it slightly and you'll have no bother. If you want it flat - then a good eggshell will do.

Sponsored Links
If you're using mid sheen or silk, you should still coat it with a mist coat of matt. Thin it down and all that. Some walls, even freshly plastered walls can need some filling, especially if plasterboard nails pop through the skim. Always coat the filling area with thin matt after sanding and before coating the walls fully.
Also with sheen pain, make sure to keep your joints wet until you're finished as it could 'flash'(leave shadows from certain viewing angles), if you don't keep each wall wet as you paint it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back