Painting Front Door with Oil Based Paint. Drying advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I have primed my front door with water based undercoat. Though need to use an satin oil base paint for the top coat. I have taken the door off along with all the attachments so it is just the wooden door.

My concern with painting with the oil based paint is drying time. I have not used oil based paint before though I know they take a long time to dry. I plan to paint the door in the morning say around 10:00, though I need to put the door back up in the late afternoon around 5 or 6pm and worried the paint will be still tacky, hence when the door closes and touches the door frame it might stick to it and ruin the finish.

Any tips on making the paint dry quicker (hairdryer?) or any other advice on this? cheers

Sponsored Links
Only advice I can give is pick the right day, never try to paint when the weather is damp even hot with high humidity will slow drying time, I would paint in-situ as handling the door with uncured paint will cause marking.
One dodge you can try is to put cling film between the door and where it touches overnight I have heard that it works although have not tried it myself.
Remove any draught stripping and replace only after the paint is fully dry.

Last edited:
two things you can do

I expect you will be removing the lock and keep as well as other door furniture while painting.

When you put the lock back, leave the keep out overnight. This will prevent the door being tightly held into the frame. Put a half-match into the rebate of the frame near the top and bottom, this will prevent the door touching.

The next day, when it is tolerably dry, wipe a smear of vaseline down the edge of the door and the frame where they touch. Not great gobbets, just enough to make it greasy. This will prevent them sticking. Polish it off with a dry cloth in a week or so.

Cling film would stick to the paint and leave a mark.

If you have to handle the door, hold it by putting your hand in the letterbox slot. When you refit the letterplate it will conceal fingermarks.

Thanks for the advice guys. footprints: Its a shame I didn't paint it during the heatwave! Its all winter and rain from now on :-\ John: thats a good idea! I can screw in the door bits leaving a bit of a gap so they're not tightly touching. Also I was thinking for the edges to paint those with an acrylic colour match, put the door back up and then paint the oil. Or even paint all the areas touching the frame with the acrylic and then the visible area from the front with the oil. Otherwise just paint the whole thing with acrylic if the match is good enough :D

Though is acrylic paint not as hard wearing as oil?

Sponsored Links
Use Zinsser allcoat exterior, it's water based, quick drying, comes in satin and gloss and you should be able to get most colours mixed with their base coat, off the shelf it comes in black and white. It is very good paint and lasts.

Ok thanks, will try this. Though the exterior door is inside a hallway but the most hard-waring is best

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back