Painting garage doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

im looking to repaint our garage doors, but the choice of colours are very limited.

so i was thinking would it be possible to use car spray on the doors?
surely it would have the same anti-aging properties.

thoughts?

Sponsored Links
if they are metal doors then yes i`m sure you can use car paint, i would scotchbrite, or wet and dry all the doors to give a surface for the paint to adhere to, and prior to painting clean with thinners and allow to compleatly dry

Why is the choice of colours limited..you can use any undercoat and gloss..car paint maybe work out pricy

Sponsored Links
Yep...ordinary undercoat and gloss

Yep...ordinary undercoat and gloss

Hammerite is not easy to apply on large areas as it wants to dry quite fast. And as its outside willwant to dry even quicker. There is no benefit to using it on garage doors. Ordinary undercoat and gloss is fine. Theses can be tinted to any colour that is out there. Flat off, undercoat, flat off and use a thinned down coat of gloss. You have to work quick and work to a join or edge each time to limit the overlapping of the gloss.

Ok thanks,

i'm now a bit confused, do you mean a gloss interior paint or exterior? I just dont know where i can get this range of colours you say, I'm talking b&q or something here.

Any brand names i should look out for?

also would a matt finish be suitable.

Thanks
I'm a real beginner.

You cant get a matt gloss...matt is the type of finish as is gloss

Matt finish is unsuitable for garage doors.

Any of the gloss for sale in B & Q will probably be suitable for exterior garage doors...allthough some types are speciic for outsides, they can also be used inside

As long as it doesnt say 'interior' on it then youll be ok.

B and Q normally does both Crown and Dulux and has a colour mixing service that gives you a few thousand colours to choose from..then all you need is the right undercoat to go with it...or ask them to mix you an undercoat in the same colour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back