Painting heavily textured walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Every wall in this house is covered in really sloppily-done textures, some of the ridges and lumps are as much as 5mm high. The roller I've got is useless on it, you can go over the same spot 10 times and still not cover it all.

Can someone give me some advice?

I'm looking at getting a longer pile roller, but would 'long' (18mm) or 'extra long' (24mm) be better for this?

DWeAH2d.jpg

h6q3AUy.jpg

UUrihmJ.jpg

Z7fT6QW.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes just a long pile roller same as painting render outside, get a couple and see which is best, also do not keep going till the roller is empty re-charge before that.(y)

Yes just a long pile roller same as painting render outside, get a couple and see which is best, also do not keep going till the roller is empty re-charge before that.(y)
Thats not that rough really medium pile would nearly do that, I have followed plasterers om a job and there finish is worse than that. Load up the roller and roll for England

Hi Lukas.

Looking at the photo with the roller frame- the roller looks like it accepts a 1.5" diameter roller sleeve. You normally only ever find them in the DIY stores. They are awful. The sleeves slip off and the thin arm bends, resulting in uneven pressure and excessive paint build up at the edge of the applied paint.

You might want to consider ditching it and buying a 1.75" diameter, 9" long, roller from a proper decorators merchant. A reasonable quality/cheaper roller and sleeve will cost about a tenner together. A decorators' merchant should have a wider range than a DIY store.

Sponsored Links
I had been using a brush but not only does it take ages to cover a wall, it doesn't get in all the nooks and crevices. I've since bought myself a 1.75" long pile roller and it's doing the job great.

Thanks for all your tips.

Ok I've just done an undercoat on one wall with that new roller and it's left a rough and nasty looking texture, this so-called "orange peel" effect? Is there any way I can avoid this?

Pretty cheap sleeve - the ones I use arroworthy or wooster are about £8.00
What paint are you using diy paint or trade paint ?
Maybe for the first coat you could thin the first coat down with some water and this will allow it to roll on easier and not dry as you are painting it on.

https://www.georgecoullpaintinganddecorating.co.uk

This was 9 year old Dulux Brilliant White, which I'm using as an undercoat. It goes on fine with a brush but the roller comes out rough.

I will be covering it with Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt.

You are using nine year old paint well there's your problem, I have been a Painter and Decorator for 33 years and the longest I keep paint for is six months and then it goes to the tidy tip. I think you need to have a fresh start with new paint and purchased from a decorating centre not a local shed.
Slightly thin first coat and second coat without thinning the paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back