Painting Hell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have plastered our lounge ourselves, finish is quite good for diy.

However choosing the paint was a big issue, wife wanted a light colour no dark ones, we settled on a very light colour leyland trade paint.

Bought one but it had a blue hue to it she said it was ok i said no way, after we slapped on 5 litres, eventually this was scraped, bought 2 test pots Misty Grey and Ash Grey.

Misty grey came out with a light burgundy colour and ash grey was ok but came out diff colour once painted over rejected bluish paint.

Bought the ash grey as did not fancy multiple trips with loads of testing pots, slapped 3 coats and wife is now happy with the light grey in soft sheen as its wipeable.

Googling grey colour comes up with lots of problems with Dulux Polished Pebble coming out in purple/blue, etc, what a nightmare.

Sponsored Links
Not sure what point you are trying to convey, other than the fact that some greys might have a magenta or blue (cyan) tinge.

TBH it is not surprising given that different greys are made with more or less levels of the two primary pigments. Printing/painting is based on CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black) pigments.

If you had access to a Dulux Trade colour palette fandeck- you would be able to see which the "parent" colour is. In the absence of one, the following link might help

https://www.duluxtradepaintexpert.co.uk/en/colours/cl/15622/hue/11

As you scroll down the page, the colour on the left is the "parent" colour, the one on the far right is the lightest version of the colour.

Not sure what point you are trying to convey, other than the fact that some greys might have a magenta or blue (cyan) tinge.

TBH it is not surprising given that different greys are made with more or less levels of the two primary pigments. Printing/painting is based on CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black) pigments.

If you had access to a Dulux Trade colour palette fandeck- you would be able to see which the "parent" colour is. In the absence of one, the following link might help

https://www.duluxtradepaintexpert.co.uk/en/colours/cl/15622/hue/11

As you scroll down the page, the colour on the left is the "parent" colour, the one on the far right is the lightest version of the colour.

Point is, the colour i was give does in no way look like the grey that was advertised, not even a bit.

Sponsored Links
Point is, the colour i was give does in no way look like the grey that was advertised, not even a bit.

Sorry mate, I still don't completely follow what you are trying to say. Do you mean that the colour on the wall doesn't look like the colour in the printed chart or a colour that you saw on a website, or that it didn't match the sample pot?

Let's go through each of those:

1. The printed colour charts, whilst useful, will never show you how the paint will look once you have furniture or carpets which will reflect off the walls. You mentioned that you purchased tester pots, that was the right thing to do but I recommend that people paint it on to scraps of lining paper and tape those bit of paper to various walls and then check then at different times of the day (as the sun moves around and then goes down).

2. Colours on computers are represented via RGB (Red, Green, Blue) other than CMYK. Unless your screen has been calibrated, be advised that they might be quite different.

3. If the sample pot doesn't match the mixed colour then phone Dulux. They will ask you for samples of both painted on to lining paper so that they can inspect them. If they have deviated, in my experience they will give you vouchers to the value of the paint.

There is a 4th possibility which I have only experienced once. My customer had a given colour on her walls, she purchased 15L for me to repaint the room. The colour was very different to the paint in the original tin. On her behalf, I rang Dulux Trade. The customer support agent explained that when new bases and tints are released the true colour can deviate. They were pretty good and sent out vouchers. Fortunately I had only applied a little bit of the paint.

If my posts have come across as being snarky then I apologise, that wasn't my intention. I don't spend my free time here trying to wind people up. I was trying to explain how colours work (as per the weblink I posted).

For the record, when I painted my hallway grey, I didn't pay sufficient attention the the parent colour and found it too pink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back