Painting help pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just wondering if you can impart some advice to a painting novice?

I'm redecorating my bathroom with a white Farrow and Ball emulsion, but am having a few problems.

I've applied two coats but when I step back and look at the wall I can see thin (10cm wide) vertical sections of the wall that are a darker shade to the rest.

I'm using a medium sized Homebase-branded brush, onto a magnolia wall. I've not applied a primer.

Can someone help me with where I'm going wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Could be a couple of things - are you overlapping when you paint? this would cause a 'band' of darker paint as where you overlap will have a deeper coat, especially if its thin paint. Were the walls previously painted or have they been skimmed? If they are newly plastered you could be painting over an area of thinner plaster (where there may be a gap/join in plasterboard) which would have a lower absorbtion rate. Not using an 'undercoat' won't really affect the finish a great deal as most people use a watered down coating of the finish paint anyway. Just keep topping up the paint, if its an absorbtion problem the band should blend with subsequent coats.

edit: sorry ignore the new plaster bit - My advice would be use a roller, most people can't paint a wall fast enough with a brush alone so when you move on to the next section/band the previous will be dry/nearly dry

White ...Barrow and Fall :eek: how much more than a standard diy emulsion :oops: . definitely go with a roller. If I was brushing it would be with a 5 or 6 inch Hamiltons . Afraid you got expensive paint and cheap brush . Should`ve been expensive brush and cheap paint :cry: yes you`ve got to keep the " Wet edge going " across the wall when brushing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back