Painting - Help Required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After some guidance as to whether i should paint the bannister area the same dark brown. See pic

SDC11535.jpg

Regards

Sponsored Links
I agree they need painting, but not dark brown - it would risk looking like a Victorian mental institution.

I'd paint all the woodwork white, personally, but the bannisters at the very least should be white.

Thanks for the phots btw - really helpful.

I agree they need painting, but not dark brown - it would risk looking like a Victorian mental institution.

I'd paint all the woodwork white, personally, but the bannisters at the very least should be white.

Hi,

sorry what i meat was painting the 3 panels right of the bannister white rather then it being all white if that makes sense?

As indicated, I would paint ALL the woodwork white. I definitely would not paint the panels brown. Your hallway would be depressingly dark. White reflects lots of light and you need that in hallways which tend to have few or no windows.

Besides, why would you want to paint ANY woodwork dark brown?

Sponsored Links
When we moved into this house, I spent many hours stripping paint off the bannisters. It's a personal choice of course but I don't think you can beat varnished wood. :cool: :cool: :cool:

If I was starting with what you've got I would begin by stripping the paint off the bottom of the newel post. Then, if the wood came up clean, I would carry on up the stringer before starting on those brown panels.

Hi,

sorry what i meat was painting the 3 panels right of the bannister white rather then it being all white if that makes sense?

I was planning on leaving the rest white but just the three panels would have been painted the same colour as the other side(dark brown) to break it up a little...

When we moved into this house, I spent many hours stripping paint off the bannisters. It's a personal choice of course but I don't think you can beat varnished wood. :cool: :cool: :cool:

If I was starting with what you've got I would begin by stripping the paint off the bottom of the newel post. Then, if the wood came up clean, I would carry on up the stringer before starting on those brown panels.

Thanks fo ryour reply. The carpet has only been in for about 6 months so not keen on the idea of pulling it up to remove the paint from the post and stringer. I just wanted to break the colour up a little and it feels as there is too much white on the side of the banninster...

The carpet has only been in for about 6 months so not keen on the idea of pulling it up to remove the paint from the post and stringer. I just wanted to break the colour up a little and it feels as there is too much white on the side of the banninster...

Having the panels in brown would look hideous, imho.

Just paint all the woodwork white.Otherwise you will drown in brown. You already have too many different shades of brown : the panels to the left of the staircase,the banisters and spindles, the laminate floor and the carpet are all brown and none of them match. It's too much!

emilybronte said:
You already have too many different shades of brown

Very true. If you aren't up for stripping the panels - which might not work very well anyway - paint them white but please don't touch those beautiful natural wood spindles - at least not straight away. You can always do them later if you must but, once painted, there'll be no going back. :( :( :(

PS: If it was mine, I'd still make a determined effort to strip the bottom of the newel post.

The carpet has only been in for about 6 months so not keen on the idea of pulling it up to remove the paint from the post and stringer. I just wanted to break the colour up a little and it feels as there is too much white on the side of the banninster...

Having the panels in brown would look hideous, imho.

Just paint all the woodwork white.Otherwise you will drown in brown. You already have too many different shades of brown : the panels to the left of the staircase,the banisters and spindles, the laminate floor and the carpet are all brown and none of them match. It's too much!

I do agree there are alot of different shades of brown and freshen up the area mentioned in pure brilliant white. This was originally done in satinwood not gloss so will do the same again. Thanks for all your help and guidance, much appreciated

emilybronte said:
You already have too many different shades of brown

Very true. If you aren't up for stripping the panels - which might not work very well anyway - paint them white but please don't touch those beautiful natural wood spindles - at least not straight away. You can always do them later if you must but, once painted, there'll be no going back. :( :( :(

PS: If it was mine, I'd still make a determined effort to strip the bottom of the newel post.

I dont think it would take much to remove the paint on the newal post but trying to find the correct shade of varnish/stain would be difficult and if it wasnt a 100% match it would look odd

Related to the hallway, the walls are painted in natural hessian as shown in pics. Again, is it worth changing to more of a white. The ceiling and the coving is already in brilliant white

SDC11537-1.jpg

SDC11538.jpg

SDC11539.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back