Painting Internal Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I know that there are many threads on this topic already but I haven't managed to find one specific to my query.

I have just put up doors similar to these throughout my house...

http://www.salvo.co.uk/images/userimgs/22566/39218_1.jpg

I want to paint them white, and my skirting boards etc have all been painted with a satin finish, so I want to give it a similar finish. Can you please advise me of the steps & types of paints, primers etc I need to take in order to give the doors the best possible finish please? I want to ensure that you can feel the grainy wood as well, if you know what I mean.

Also, what is the best method of painting these, bearing in mind that I can't really paint them hung as the carpet will get spoiled? I have come across the following method but it seems really complex and time-consuming. Is this the best way to go?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

Sponsored Links
Just slip a sheet of lining paper under the bottom of the door and you can splash away nae probs.

Normally you'd prime, fill, 1 or 2 undercoats and 1-2 gloss/satin/eggshell.

If you want to keep the grainy feel to them, minimise the undercoats as this is what fills up the grain for a smooth finish. You could try thinning your undercoat a wee bit so you've got the key for your finish coat without filling the grain.

Seems a shame to cover up all that nice timber, and a satin woodstain would be a lot quicker and easier.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply 54aardvark. My skirt boards etc are white so would a stained door still look good along with those?

If the doors have been dipped they could contain traces of caustic and this can bleed through and make the paint yellow. Best to give a coat of Zinsser 123 primer before you start.

My skirt boards etc are white so would a stained door still look good along with those?

Its really a matter of personal taste, but I think it breaks up the room a bit and you don't have a solid block of colour, also if the timber is done well can make a really nice feature. Done a lot of doors like this and never felt it was out of place.

if you can hang the doors on lift-off hinges it makes them much easier to take off to sand and paint.

just don't knock them carrying them back.

On the same topic guys is the Dulux two in one primer undercoat any good?

Furthermore, I also want a similar finish on my doors in satin white and i remember recently a company that did a shopfit on one of my projects got the grainy effect showing up spot on.

Also I was thinking of painting the doors using small rollers but realised there would be a problem when it comes to the ridges etc I hate brush strokes likewise what method would i use to paint these features on the doors.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back