Painting job advise please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys...
Could you please advise me about this?

I've got my house window wood frame paint flaking.
it is the outside part so i guess the flaking is because rain...etc.

Some parts of the frame are fine and the white paint is ok, but other parts are flaking and showing a the old window paint, brown.

I've never done painting before, so I did some search and I found that I would need the following:

1) sand the wood frame and get rid of the flakes and level it
2) add undercoat layer
3) paint it with the last layer of paint

the questions:
1) is the sanding done using sanding paper or it must be one of the stuff that is attached to a drill-like machine?
when sanding, should sand even the part that are not showing any flaking or just the damaged parts?

2) how the undercoat differs from the final painting layer? what should i tell B&Q or Homebase? just undercoat? and what about the colour of it? and how long should be left before painting over it?

3) should the final paint product be matching with the undercoat in color or not? and for exterior painting, is it better to get glossy or matt paint?

one more thing, is there any advise about the brush or just any brush will do the work?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back