Painting Kitchen Cabinets - Help Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

The flat which I currently live in came with kitchen cabinets that I really dislike but can't afford to replace. Hence I am exploring the possibility of repainting them myself.

Problem is that I am not sure how to go about doing it & can't even tell what material the existing ones are made of (picture below).

Am I OK to just paint directly over it after cleaning it thoroughly? I don't know whether I should sand it or not as I don't know if its wooden. What are your thoughts? Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Ducky

View media item 86914

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the link... Very useful... :D

Quick question - The cabinet doors have a layer of some sort of vinyl material which is what we want to paint over. In the link it says that I should sand it first... Should I sand it to the point that the vinyl layer is stripped down (the equivalent of sanding varnish off wood) or sand it lightly to get any dirt off it?

Thanks,
Ducky

Remove all traces of grease and grime, lightly sand with 300-400 grit paper, remove all dust and then apply a high grip primer to the cabinet doors (Dulux Super Grip/Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3, etc). Although these primers dry in minutes, allow as long as possible before applying your finish coat(s) as they only become truly hardened and adhered after several days, all the while avoiding bumps/scrapes.

Sponsored Links
Thank you... I guess I'll sand it lightly without stripping any of the surface... Just to clean it up

I think sanding it first is the best way to go, so you can paint on a smooth surface and it will look professional.

Thank you for the link... Very useful... :D

Quick question - The cabinet doors have a layer of some sort of vinyl material which is what we want to paint over. In the link it says that I should sand it first... Should I sand it to the point that the vinyl layer is stripped down (the equivalent of sanding varnish off wood) or sand it lightly to get any dirt off it?

Thanks,
Ducky

By vinyl layer I'm assuming you mean the lacquer that is applied to it.Most kitchens have a spray lacquered appearance which is done in a factory. You'll want to lightly sand all surfaces and avoid sanding so much to expose the the MDF/timber underneath

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back