Painting kitchen doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Rather than spend a fortune on a new kitchen in order to sell my house I thought i'd do the makeover thing and paint the cupboard doors. However, I'm guessing this is something that will be much more difficult than I imagine. Anyone got any tips on how to make it look good? All help will be appreciated, I'm a complete beginner to the world of DIY (but being forced to learn quickly!)

Sponsored Links
Preparation is the key here...

But before we can really answer properly...what type of finsh on the doors do you have now...melamine or varnished wood?

Ok...off we go then

Firstly you'll need to give em a good wash. particulrly around the handles on anywhere you touch then....next a rub down with wet or dry paper..used wet..400 ish grade.

Make sure you rinse well to remove any slurry on the surface

Then a coat of melamine primer, Dulux super grip..or similar

then paint with what ever you fancy colour wise...being a kitchen where theres a risk of fire id go fo an acrylic eggshell...put it on with a foam radiator roller.

Dont try and cover it in one coat...use two applied thinly.

Sponsored Links
You won't fool anyone. They'll think if you bodged the doors - you'll have bodged everything esle. Either leave them or fit new doors. What's a few hundred quid compared to the value of a house?

Hi Katy May,

I agree with Joe's point on this one. If you are new to DIY I have a horrible feeling you will make a pigs ear of the painting. To sell it has to be tip top and the kitchen is one of the most important rooms in the house. If I were you I would get hold of a chippy and find out if he has a Howdens account. Failing that open one yourself. It costs nothing but you have to be trade. (you supply a letterhead for this, a computer generated one is fine ;) ;) ) You will then benefit from the 60-70% discount that we as tradesmen get. It will work out between £2 and £10 per door not the hundreds that you think :)

Should you go for the other option then follow Zampas advice and take your time. Good luck

Thanks - you are quite right I would botch it (see my post on painting tiles!). I went into Howdens (before I saw your post on the discount) and the cheapest matching doors would come to £675. So have decided to leave them for now but will do as you suggest and find a friendly chippy for a quote.

hi katy, like I said thats the retail price not what you would pay with an account. I have had a few customers that have opened their own account without any probs so if you cant find a chippy give it a go.

Good luck

Did what you suggested, have just had new doors put on and went for a contrasting colour - looks great and at a good price too, something I'd never have thought of. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back