Painting MDF Alcove and Wardrobe Units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm having a carpenter build some MDF Alcove and Wardrobe Units for me (you know the type of thing - every Victorian or similar house in the whole of the UK seems to have them - apart from mine). And I get the lucky job of painting them this weekend (not at 4pm on Saturday, though ;) ) and probably next too.

Does anyone have any tips or come across a useful website explaining which paint to use, whether brush or roller is best and the best method for painting?

Thanks very much in advance.

Sponsored Links
I would go for a oil based primer...slightly thinned out first...water based primers can raise the grain of some types of MDF.

Given that the surface is very flat, ut wil show up any blemishes...so a foam radiator roller is great for getitng a nice even finish.

Rub down between each coat with fine wet an dry paper or 120 grade aluminium oxide paper.

You can use anything really as a finish coat..but bear in mind shiny surfaces can sometimes look a bit cheap looking..

Any idea as to the order in which I do the panels? I assume I don't just approach it in bish-bash-bosh style?

Do the panels first..but make sure you dont over brush onto the face of the doors themselves...keep a bit of rag at hand to wipe the access off.

Sponsored Links
Now, at the risk of sounding a bit gormless:
1. How do I think down oil based primer? Water??
2. Can you recommend anything (nothing fancy - perhaps just something from the screwfix catalogue?) on the primer front
3. How about a paint that I could use?
4. I assume I dont need to sand after the primer coat? Won't it just be absorbed?
5. Finally, seeing as I cant find my trusted Collins DIY manual anymore, have you seen any literature that I cvan have handy on the order in which to do the panels? I remember when I penated my sashes that they were really complicated?

Cheers, much appreacited.

1. White spirit

2. Thinned out undercoat or oil based wood primer

3. ?

4. No..you must sand after the primer...this is crucial to flatten any furing

5. Its difficult to say mate without seeing the doors/panels themselves..but as a general rule...panels, first..then work you way downpainting each piece as if it was constructed from seperate parts...like an old fashioned door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back