Painting MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am relatively new to working with wood (have only finished a few projects), and I am about to build a bar in my basement. I would like to use MDF, however, I am not sure if it will look nice if merely painted.

I would like it to have a high luster on the base, the top will be laminate. Is there any way possible to ensure I get the luster I am looking for with MDF? Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you prime & seal it you will get a good finish.

Will MDF be man enough for the application?

One for Nester...he's more familiar with the north american product ranges..

Sponsored Links
Diyisfun said:
Zampa

One for Nester...he's more familiar with the north american product ranges..
Zampa, is USA MDF not MDF? :rolleyes:

Of the very same...but the stuff that goes on it will be different...well certainly different trade names

My choice whould be thinned out oil based primer or undercoat as it doesnt swell the fibres on the surface so much

Thanks for the replies, I chose MDF because it seems to have a smoother surface than plywood. I am also considering using laminate over the whole piece for easy clean up. This isn't intended to be somethign fancy. It's my play room. I really want something just sturdy and functional.

3/4 inch MDF also seems to be much cheaper. With the current influx of natural disasters in the southern United States, plywood has gotten rather expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back