Painting mdf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am a leaving cert student in an irish school.

I am making a dolls house for my woodwork project, using 12mm mdf. Im am about to paint the outside as the inside is already wallpapered. (i have never painted wood before)

I have bought white primer and my question to you is how should i apply this? How many coats? and as well does my finishing paint have to be white or what type of paint should i buy?

Thank you,
Spooney

Sponsored Links
You didnt mention what type of white primer...so i'll asume you have brought MDF primer...which is water based.

Thin it out by 10% and apply with a brush...(mdf is very absorbant and you'l have problems trying to spread it without getting brush marks otherwise) primer is intended to prime and nothing else...so its only one coat...then paint with emulsion...look for the 240ml tester pots...you can get them in the full colour range, giving you more choice.

Bit old to be playing with dolls houses arnt you? ;)

MDF or any other wood will always get two coats of a water based wood primer MDF especially as the first coat will be soaked up. Sand with a fine grade paper a 120 should do. Usually wood as taught in any painting college is two primer two undercoat and a top coat of the finish paint usually gloss eggshell or satin. Always dust the MDF as the sanding can leave a fine dusty coating you can use a lightly oiled rag to remove this. Have fun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back