Painting my uPVC windows and fascias

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After 13yrs of living in my house, i fancied a change.

My double garage sits at the front of my chalet bungalow and originally i was going to just paint the white double door. Then thinking about it, i never really was keen on so much white.
So with a bit of research, i found that uPVC can be painted and changing all my white to RAL 7016 grey would be my route.

I found that Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 has an excellent rating for uPVC so went and got a 2.5ltr tub tinted for a grey as my primer coat.

It says that after cleaning the uPVC, it doesn't need any sanding before application. However, i have given all my surfaces a light sand. I carried out a test on a scrap piece of fascia and applied a second coat within an hour of the first. Although being water based and quick drying, it does state that it takes a full 7 days to cure hard. Indeed a couple of hours after painting my test piece i was easily able to scrath the paint back to the white uPVC rather easily and somewhat concerned. So a week later, i give it another scratch and find it incredibly difficult to scrape any off. So it's a goer!

In the last couple of days, i have removed the guttering from my garage and part of my house.

Have given 2 coats of the 123 and has covered very well.

I also masked off and painted the rear garage door.

The guttering won't be going back, it will be replaced with an anthracite deep flow gutter.

Next week will be enough time for the 123 to fully cure and i will give a light sand before applying my top coat.

Although no chosen yet, it will be a gloss/sheen finished paint and probably a Sandtex product coloured to RAL 7016.

Will post progress......

Sponsored Links
We've just had composite doors fitted in RAL 7016 and I was considering painting our uPVC Windows to match.

I'll be watching this with interest as the results so far look really good.

Are you brush painting or using a compressor?

I'm painting on with brush then laying off with a roller.

First coat is a mist coat (although not diluted) and second coat covers fully.

Goes on well and smooth but will lightly sand before finish coat.

Sponsored Links
Finally got round to applying top coat in RAL 7016

IMAG8949[1].jpg
IMAG8949[1].jpg
IMAG8950[1].jpg
IMAG8952[1].jpg
IMAG8953[1].jpg

Still got to paint the timber garage door frame, but generally happy with the results.
Especially when comparing what it used to look like, i.e the neighbours next door.
IMAG7514[1].jpg
IMAG7514[1].jpg

IMAG7515[1].jpg
IMAG7516[1].jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back