Roof detail to prevent rain drips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I'd like to stop water drips onto my new render / paintwork on my extension (see pics below, my extension is green) - you can see drip lines next to the drainpipe - it has only been painted a couple of weeks so obviously this isn;t ideal.

It is a bit complicated as the roof is part of a flying freehold (so it is my neighbours roof), so i can't do anything too drastic (e.g. guttering). Is there anything I could do to take drips away? I will also want to replace that old rotten piece of wood above the brick wall ( looks like a piece of skirting board).

Sponsored Links
No. Water is flowing off the roof, so it's a roof problem.

If you can't fit a gutter, a piece of u trim or similar at the bottom edge of the soffitt, could direct water along and into that gutter.

No. Water is flowing off the roof, so it's a roof problem.

If you can't fit a gutter, a piece of u trim or similar at the bottom edge of the soffitt, could direct water along and into that gutter.

I thought as much.

Will have to speak to my neighbour, but he's pretty good.

I know it is a bit hard to tell from the pics, but is there any limit on how steep an angle a standard gutter can manage?

Sponsored Links
The edge detailing on either roof is not a pretty sight.

As suggested above - a piece of U-trim or a single length of guttering would carry the dripping water to the lower gutter - the angle is irrelevant.
But the material would have to be fixed to the existing timber barge board (which doesn't look to be in great shape) & tucked under the capping/cover board - what material is that board?

The fascia ("skirting") below is rotted, and will need replacing.
Water has previously been coming down at that corner and the confusing detailing (was there an original flat roof?) is hard to fathom out. Perhaps the new arrangements will take care of any water stains/damage?

If you go on to your roof & take photos of your roof, & lift the nailed on strip of sheeting above the "skirting" and photo also, it would help.

Go out in the rain and observe whats happening above the corner - is everything watertight?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back