Concrete flat roof drip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour recently had the concrete roof on an original 1940s flat roof extention repaired. I think some damage was mended, but mostly the work consisted of painting the roof with a bituminous substance and fitting new guttering.

The problem they left him was was no drip into the gutter, so although the edge of the roof overhangs the gutter, the water runs back and down the wall behind it, as in the pictures.

I've sort of offered to sort this out for him, and I'm thinking some kind of trim screwed and masticked to the edge, to form a drip over the gutter. Right at the edges the top slopes down to the sides. I've installed two EPDM flat roofs but am unsure what the best kind of trim would be for this, or whether there's an obvious, correct way to fix it that I simply don't know about. Can anyone advise, please?

The flashing to the house isn't up to much, either.

View media item 100112View media item 100111
Thanks
Richard

Sponsored Links
Taking the liberty of bumping this.

Someone suggested I used plastic eaves protector, reversed:

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/user/u/prod/l/felt-support-tray-1256.jpg

I'd need to cut this down for width. It only seems to come in 1.5m lengths and I'm not sure how I'd do external corners neatly.

What I've used on EPDM is this:

https://www.rubber4roofs.co.uk/shop/metal-edge-trim-rubber-roofing

It comes in decent lengths and has a corner detail, but the top edge at right angles is no use here as I have an irregular 45 degree-ish angle. Ideally I need something like it but just a flat strip.

Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone dealt with a similar problem?

[Edit] Soffit board, perhaps

https://www.directplastics.com/upvc...ndow-trims/multi-purpose-upvc-board-black-ash

Thanks
Richard

Just a thought but is there space on the underside of the concrete to grind in a drip groove.

Sponsored Links
I think this would be the most elegant and least of a bodge.

Tanalised tilting fillet fixed to roof, with lead cover. The lead will need to be in 1.2 or 1.5m lengths depending on whether code 4 or 5.
foto_no_exif (3).jpg

Thanks Woody. The concrete edge is already as far over the gutter as the lead in your diagram, so I think an arris would take it too far out.

What I propose to do is fix some black uPVC soffit (9mm x 100mm) flat to the edge with screws and mastic, extending downwards over the gutter and use uPVC angle at the corners. The soffit comes in 5m lengths so I can do each of the three sides without joins. Black caps over the ends of the screws and I think that will look as tidy as uPVC can.

One thing to consider is the expansion of long lengths of plastic, and this could mean that the board bows away from the roof between the fixings and along the bottom unfixed section, allowing water to run behind it. Lots of sealant/grab adhesive may help.

But yes it could work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back