Roof options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We’ve just moved into this house which has a kitchen diner inside a conservatory. The pics below are from the Rightmove advert.

2 sides of the conservatory are the existing house and a utility room, a third wall was built for the conservatory. Only the rear 4th side is glazed substantially with a dwarf wall.

The conservatory has a 5 x 6m glass roof, so obviously the room is blazing hot / ice cold at various times in the year.

Is it hopelessly naive to think that the 3 sides of the room that are already built mean that a proper insulated flat roof could easily be constructed without the need for demolition and rebuilding ? Potentially this could mean less disruption and cost. I would also like to replace the garden facing glazing with sliding doors.

would replacing the conservatory roof by building a real roof off existing walls be practical?

Sponsored Links
Does that have building regulations approval? It should have, and you'll certainly need it for any roof alteration, and suitability of walls, floor and other things will then come under building regulations.

I guess the question I’m asking is whether the existing structures (house wall, utility wall, possibly conny wall?) can be used to attach a replacement roof that *does* meet building regs, as an alternative to taking the whole thing down, ground works etc.

The new roof would be built off (largely) the house and utility.

Unlikely the walls are adequate in strength or thermal performance.

But you are asking the wrong question.

Sponsored Links
What’s the right one woody?

I am trying to save effort and disruptions in replacing what we have here with a useable room.

So my question is Whether possible or is it a case of rip it all out (groundworks, floor, heating electrics, kitchen, wall) and start again?

my presumption was that having at least 2 walls existing makes it a bit easier.

The question should be along the lines of what I mentioned in post 2. I presume this was not built in accordance with building regulations.

It's not just a case of 'can I slap a roof on', as there may be issues with the foundation, floor and walls if it was designed as a conservatory.

So it's more of a conversion to an extension, not just a roof replacement. So the question is "What do I need to do to make this room compliant and authorised". And the answer is that you will need it assessed on site not on a website.

Yes absolutely. Thanks, next step is to get a professional to come have a look.

I am trying to save effort and disruptions in replacing what we have here with a useable room.

So my question is Whether possible or is it a case of rip it all out (groundworks, floor, heating electrics, kitchen, wall) and start again?

my presumption was that having at least 2 walls existing makes it a bit easier.

I wouldve thought any building regulation non compliance would have been picked up your surveyor or solicitor.

Do you know how many years ago the work was done?

If you go to your local authority website and do a search any building regulation application should show up.
the electrical work should show up as well.

the glazed roof would not have complied with the thermal requirements of part L of building regs -its possible a SAPS test was done and compliance was achieved by making improvements elsewhere

It looks quite straight forward to me to take off the conservatory roof and replace with a flat roof, perhaps with a smaller lantern - which is what it should have had anyway.

And no I dont think its naive to think that could be done without much alteration to the rest of the structure.

in regards to the patio doors -you might find that is a bit more involved as you there seems to be little at that end for lateral stability and you might need some steelwork and structural engineers calcs.

you need a reasonable budget for a new roof etc -say £30k

I wouldve thought any building regulation non compliance would have been picked up your surveyor or solicitor.

Do you know how many years ago the work was done?

If you go to your local authority website and do a search any building regulation application should show up.
the electrical work should show up as well.

the glazed roof would not have complied with the thermal requirements of part L of building regs -its possible a SAPS test was done and compliance was achieved by making improvements elsewhere

It looks quite straight forward to me to take off the conservatory roof and replace with a flat roof, perhaps with a smaller lantern - which is what it should have had anyway.

And no I dont think its naive to think that could be done without much alteration to the rest of the structure.

in regards to the patio doors -you might find that is a bit more involved as you there seems to be little at that end for lateral stability and you might need some steelwork and structural engineers calcs.

you need a reasonable budget for a new roof etc -say £30k
Lol to all of that.

How much compensation elsewhere?
Fire safety?
That framework can support a roof?

Just get of those conservatory titled roof companies to come out and replace the glass with those lightweight tiled roof jobbies.

Might be the best solution, although all the compliance with BR points stand.

Surprised any solicitor would have let you buy that place without those in place.

Ps - it’s going to make your dinning room very dark though.

pps - probably better to knock it all down and sort the layout out properly

Thanks for the comments.

The conny didn’t have BR certs when we bought it (apart from the kitchen installation electrics) which I know it should have had, given the external-grade doors to the original kitchen have been removed. We were ok with this as we always intended to replace it with a more sensible solution.

We’re happy with the existing layout, and the old dining room is a snug/media/play room, so not too worried about light in there.

Useful to hear from notch that a flat roof may be possible. Presumably clear out all the upvc and glass and the new roof could be built off the house, the utility, and the 3rd wall, which will need checking by SE and suitable rebuilding or steel supports where necessary ?

Whoa, im gonna avoid houses like these, difficult to clean glass roof, a loose tile or debris blown down and smash, neighbours peering in, difficult maintaining guttering/windows on main wall, fluctuating temps.

Its a no no no.

Last edited:
Whoa, im gonna avoid houses like these, difficult to clean glass roof, a loose tile or debris blown down and smash, neighbours peering in, difficult maintaining guttering/windows on main wall, fluctuating temps.

Its a no no no.

Would agree normally, but everything else was perfect and we knew we would be sorting the conservatory out pretty quickly. It was an eyes wide open purchase

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back