bricking up one side of conservatory help???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi I'm after your thoughts. I have a conservatory (3 glazed sides) and i need to remove glazing one side and replace with single skin lightweight blocks. The existing footings are only about 400mm deep pad. It consists of half dwarf wall with glazing on top with a poly roof.

Q1 ) Would those footings take lightweight blocks. Ive done a quick calculation on kg/m2 and although heavier than glass the blocks aren't significantly heavier.

Q2) Im not 100% as to how I would fix the blocks to the aluminium roof. I have attached a drawing of whats existing and how I thought I could achieve this.

Any experience or advice much appreciated

Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 19.07.28.png

Sponsored Links
Q1 ) Would those footings take lightweight blocks. Ive done a quick calculation on kg/m2 and although heavier than glass the blocks aren't significantly heavier.
My experience of window company conny bases, tells me that your foundations will likely be pants. Without seeing the ground conditions or the depth (below ground) of the existing, it's impossible to tell. It's not just the weight but the stability also, when increasing the height of a wall.

Q2) Im not 100% as to how I would fix the blocks to the aluminium roof. I have attached a drawing of whats existing and how I thought I could achieve this.
As you feed in the last course of blocks, you can fix individual angle brackets to the underside of the wall plate bearer that slots in the perp joint of each block. You may need to predetermine the position of the final course perp's and fix your angle brackets, before laying say the last two courses of block, as you wont get your driver in.

The footings look like a pad about 350-400 deep. Stability shouldn’t be an issue as I’m tieing it into existing house and there will be a small outbuilding built outside which will also tie into it. I can’t see 1m2 of thermalites being much heavier than glass....

I was also hoping that the windows are fixed into the roof from underneath and by removing the screws the windows come straight out?
Obviously if they are fixed from above ie) roof screwed into windows it will cause problems with window removal.

Do you have any links to these brackets you mention , they sound ideal.

Thanks for you reply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back