Solid roof conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Taking down an existing conservatory and replacing with a solid roof one with dwarf walls and have a couple of questions:D

Do these things require building regs?

What's the norm for footings these days? width, depth etc.

I was planning on digging 600mm wide until I found the existing footings of the bungalow and stopping there, then either 200mm concrete strip, trench block and engineering bricks up to dpc or mass fill to ground level then a couple of brick courses up to damp.

This okay so far?

Sponsored Links
No regs as long asd you follow the exemption rules commonly published on the net.

Foundation proposal is fine

Do these things require building regs?
Connies don't no. you still need to obey glazing rules though and electrics still need to be safe etc.
I was planning on digging 600mm wide until I found the existing footings of the bungalow and stopping there, then either 200mm concrete strip, trench block and engineering bricks up to dpc or mass fill to ground level then a couple of brick courses up to damp.
You might as well build an extension.

Connies don't no. you still need to obey glazing rules though and electrics still need to be safe etc.
You might as well build an extension.

Is it still a connie with a solid roof?

Over the top do you think? what spec would you recommend?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it still a connie with a solid roof?
If you intend keeping it separate (external door between Connie and house, heating system etc) from the dwelling and insist on glazed walls, then it will be classed as a Connie.
If you wish to upgrade to an extension I.e decent foundations, insulated oversite detail, insulated structural walls carrying a tiled insulated roof, then you will be free to open the structure up to the dwelling.

Like wot I did.:)

A 'solid' roof can only be supported on solid walls.

It's a lightweight tile effect insulated roof, I just call it a solid roof as opposed to glass or polycarb panels, they can be fitted onto windows and doors.

They are aluminium couplers and corner posts and sit onto a reinforced cill, I think most if not all PVC window manufacturers offer various sizes of coupler, some are heavy duty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back