Painting new-build walls

Bon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

This is my first post on here in a while as we moved out of our renovation house into a new build 2 years ago so after a 2 year break I'm back!!

Our Kitchen is going to be painted & wall papered and I'm looking for some advice on how to prep the painted walls. I don't think the new walls were mist coated well (or even at all) as when trying to wipe the walls (apparently it isn't "in" to tile in between work tops and wall cabinets anymore, i.e. house builders don't want to pay for it) the paint is rubbing off. My wife asked the Site Manager a while back if the decorating contractor used a mist coat and he gave her some cock & bull about not needing to mist coat because the walls are dot and dabbed.

Anyway, what should I be doing to prep the surface? It already has 1 or 2 coats of emulsion on. Am I best treating it like a new wall and diluting some trade matt before the final coats go on?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
The paints is probably contract matt which is cheap and does rub away. Its pointless applying a mist coat on top of a previously painted surface, if you're worried about adhesion apply a coat of zinsser gardz and then apply an an acrylic eggshell for best results.

NOTE TO MODS : Why are there no stickies on this forum? the mist coat why's, whens and hows keep popping up.

Thanks for the help!!

I'm not too worried about adhesion, just more worried that attempts to clean any cooking splatter will wipe off. We're papering the wall nearest to our table so my son's attempts to redecorate with a spoonful of bolognese sauce shouldn't be a problem anymore. I might even go the while hog and whack some tiles in between the work top and wall units.

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back