Painting new plaster a day after its gone on.

Ok then so how long in the rule book should plaster, gypsum i mean, be left till its dry? 3 weeks? 3 months? As i have people waiting behind me with a brush, and they dont listen!

Sponsored Links
My bathroom had to be renewed, and when you have a moaning wife and four kids it had to be quick. So in 3 days it had been ripped out, re modeled, re built, re plaster and re fitted.

So it was ok for a day or two, while the plaster was drying, then she starts moaning again, so as the plaster was pink again, i got some cheap b n q white paint which is 1% paint and 99 % water and slapped it over...then being the master decorator i am, i decided not to use bathroom paint, and used normal emulsion.

two months later the red paint is/has started flaking off everywhere. There is a few things it could be, didnt use bathroom paint, bathroom get moisture in the air, or didnt let the plaster fully dry.

BUT the cheap mis coat of white paint underneath is perfect?? Got a solution though, by tiling over it!!!

So i will now on ALWAYS use a primer, and use kitchen/bathroom paint.

Think shes on about the kitchen next....brilliant.....think i might get a painter in, as i hate painting!

It didn't bond to the mist coat and that's why it best to prime the wall ;)

Primer also give you better coverage, and hides stains. Anyone can paint a wall but make it look good... I can look at a plastered wall and tell if it's a good job just like the rest of us but to joe bloggs it's fine. Same with painting, my mate always pulls me up on my painting, it's good painting but not in his eyes. I can't gloss a door for **** though. Painting the correct way is an art just like anyother trade.

Plaster primers will allow it to breath and dry out before the final top coat, the primer I use is white......

Which is exactly what a watered down NON VINYL emulsion will do at a fraction of the price!

The problem with sealing in the moisture is that it will eventually have to escape. This will then make the paint system fail.

As mentioned the big problem here is painting over damp plaster. You will need to let the plaster breath as this will help the drying process. Sealing in the moisture with a vinyl emulsion is not the best option!

Plaster primers will allow it to breath and dry out before the final top coat, the primer I use is white......

Which is exactly what a watered down NON VINYL emulsion will do at a fraction of the price!

The problem with sealing in the moisture is that it will eventually have to escape. This will then make the paint system fail.

As mentioned the big problem here is painting over damp plaster. You will need to let the plaster breath as this will help the drying process. Sealing in the moisture with a vinyl emulsion is not the best option!

Not always the case, read hudds post. The plaster draws out WATER and not all the active ingredients in the thinned paint will be pulled into the plaster, it won't key the final coat and it will peel in time, ie: not a propa job.

The same way rock will filter water......

Sponsored Links
So i will now on ALWAYS use a primer, and use kitchen/bathroom paint.
hud let me show you this paint its dear but worth every penny
ive used it in my kitchen living room and 2 berooms and my hallway so far
you can scrub it with a brillo pad and it still looks nice its sutable for bathrooms as well http://www.leyland-paints.co.uk/leylandtrade_productdetails.asp?prodid=36

"EDIT" it comes in more or less any colour you want

Good paint, they also do quality primers...

http://www.leyland-paints.co.uk/sea...of=FORID:11&ie=UTF-8&q=plaster+primer&x=0&y=0

more reading

http://www.leyland-paints.co.uk/downloads/literature/06_Substrate_Guide.pdf

what sort of money are we talking for that then? may give it a go

Not always the case, read hudds post. The plaster draws out WATER and not all the active ingredients in the thinned paint will be pulled into the plaster, it won't key the final coat and it will peel in time, ie: not a propa job.

The same way rock will filter water......

What has happened in huds case is that the plaster was still drying out. What he did was apply a cheap emulsion (cheap emulsion has either no or very low vinyl content) as a mist which did not peel due to it doing the job of the primer. The red paint that pealed off would have been a paint with more vinyl content and the damp from the plaster has came through the NON VINYL mist coat layer and made the VINYL layers fail as the moisture is unable to pass through the vinyl film.

If he had applied a NON VINYL top coat to the drying out plaster it would have been less likely to peel. But as said painting over drying emulsion is not the best idea!

dont call me huds....im brad :D :D :D :D :D

i understand the red paint hasnt picked up on the cheap white mist coat, just didnt understand why, now i understand that the water still left in the plaster has come through the mist coat and attacked the red.....problem is i cant leave a room in my house to dry out for 3 or 4 weeks. so as soon as it was pink i painted it, as i always have done.

Amazing what tiles do though....proper expensive though! :LOL:

what sort of money are we talking for that then? may give it a go
get yourself a trade account set up with them i have a cash one set up if you want off the shelf mag i think its about £40 (5ltr) but if you want a colour mixed up its about £63 and if you have an account it ends up @ £51 with your trade discount, a tip if you do give it a go is to water it down a tad as it goes on really thick it spreads lovely, also another tip is haggle with them because they tried to give me a discount which was not as good as the discount i had the previous time they tried to charge me £55, when i said they charged me £51 last time they dropped the price again for me, so theres room in their prices for a bit of negotiation

dont call me huds....im brad :D :D :D :D :D

i understand the red paint hasnt picked up on the cheap white mist coat, just didnt understand why, i cant leave a room in my house to dry out for 3 or 4 weeks. so as soon as it was pink i painted it, as i always have done.

Amazing what tiles do though....proper expensive though! :LOL:

Sorry Brad!

The reason for the red paint flaking off the white is that the moisture from the plaster has came through the non vinyl emulsion
then could not pass through the vinyl emulsion causing it to flake off the white. If you had used a non vinyl emulsion for the red top coat this would also let the moisture through and not react in the same way i.e flaking off.

The problem with using a non vinyl emulsion is that it dries chalky and is not as hard wearing as vinyl emulsion so not ideal in places like bathrooms and kitchens were you need to be able to wipe down. The vinyl in the emulsion gives a more durable finish.

The lack of vinyl in contractors emulsion makes it ideal for priming new plaster walls as long as it is thinned to enable the paint to penetrate the surface.

PS Brad
http://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.uk/servlet/ProductHandler?code=DDC10098
Ideal for kitchens and a very good product!

You can get it from all dulux trade centers. They might have to order it though. Also a lot cheaper if you have an account!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back