Painting new plaster a day after its gone on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know its far from ideal, but im having the ceiling in a room I rent out skimmed today (thursday), both to cover over a repair and artex that is on the remaining section. However the next tenant moves in on saturday so I am forced to paint it friday evening around 30hours after its been on.

The room can be heated gently to acellerate drying but im just wondering if there is anything else I can or should do diffrently.

My plan was to do one coat of 50/50 diluted matt white, and then follow that up with a full-fat coat an hour or two extra.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
I know its far from ideal, but im having the ceiling in a room I rent out skimmed today (thursday), both to cover over a repair and artex that is on the remaining section. However the next tenant moves in on saturday so I am forced to paint it friday evening around 30hours after its been on.

The room can be heated gently to acellerate drying but im just wondering if there is anything else I can or should do diffrently.

My plan was to do one coat of 50/50 diluted matt white, and then follow that up with a full-fat coat an hour or two extra.

Daniel

Dehumidifier would be the best option, but you need to make sure the plaster is pink before you paint, no damp bits or you will be asking for it to go wrong.

Dehumidifier would be the best option, but you need to make sure the plaster is pink before you paint, no damp bits or you will be asking for it to go wrong.
Ok, I dont have a dehumdifer, but I have a fan heater and a openable window!

There isnt too much of a risk of drying it too fast then?

I live in the house so if the worse comes to it I can leave small areas like where the ceiling is blended into the skeling (greatest thicknes) and touch them up afterwards, or atleast apply the second coat afterwards once the guy has moved in.

Daniel

Ok, I dont have a dehumdifer, but I have a fan heater and a openable window!

There isnt too much of a risk of drying it too fast then?

I live in the house so if the worse comes to it I can leave small areas like where the ceiling is blended into the skeling (greatest thicknes) and touch them up afterwards, or atleast apply the second coat afterwards once the guy has moved in.

Daniel

Yes there is a risk when heating to dry out, it can crack. You can just put a big fan in and keep it on full. If you open a window in this weather you are adding moisture to the air...

Sponsored Links
Yes there is a risk when heating to dry out, it can crack. You can just put a big fan in and keep it on full. If you open a window in this weather you are adding moisture to the air...
I guess the depends how damp the room gets and how damp it is outside, but point taken.

I have a old osclating fan somewhere so i'll get that on it, open the door up to the rest of the house, and see how we get on!

Daniel

No mention of using alternative paint, which sounds fair to me, although i can see the point of not using satin, not that I would anyway.

Daniel

No mention of using alternative paint, which sounds fair to me, although i can see the point of not using satin, not that I would anyway.

Daniel

I always use a plaster primer paint.

Something like this,says its ok for plaster.
- http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/paint/.../Dulux-Trade-All-Purpose-Primer-Grey-10298999
or this, calls itself sealer, but says for plaster,
- http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/tiles/adhesives-sealants/sealants/Dulux-Plaster-Sealer-1L-9252848

Only using BnQ as its all we have in town and I wont have chance to do anything else between then and now.

What is the advantage over a 50/50 of std emusion which i thought was the norm? Every other post has pooh-poo'ed special primer/sealer?

Daniel

Something like this,says its ok for plaster.
- http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/paint/.../Dulux-Trade-All-Purpose-Primer-Grey-10298999
or this, calls itself sealer, but says for plaster,
- http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/tiles/adhesives-sealants/sealants/Dulux-Plaster-Sealer-1L-9252848

Only using BnQ as its all we have in town and I wont have chance to do anything else between then and now.

What is the advantage over a 50/50 of std emusion which i thought was the norm? Every other post has pooh-poo'ed special primer/sealer?

Daniel

It's down to the cost. But you will get a better quality finish if you use a good primer paint, Dulux is expensive but I do use it in the home.

The plaster will drink watered down paint.

dhutch";p="2310233 said:
dan your wasting your money using a primer sealer on new skim,most of the painters and spreads i know including myself use a 50-50 mist coat, put the first mist coat on then if you have any snagging, snag and then do the second mist coat then the final coat, the only time ive seen painters use the primer sealer was on a hospital refurb , i asked why they ws using it and they said it was to even out the different backgrounds of old plaster , like if you have old plaster and new plaster and the easifil they was using to snag the old plaster they would use the primer sealer to even it all out so they get a good finish, same as drylining we would use top coat to even the boards and the joints out so it all looks even, ive never seen anyone use it on new skim theres no need

If you open a window in this weather you are adding moisture to the air...
Wrong.

It would take a monumental amount of moisture outside to equal that inside of a building, particularly one that has plaster drying.

Summer yields greater humidity than winter.

If you open a window in this weather you are adding moisture to the air...
Wrong.

It would take a monumental amount of moisture outside to equal that inside of a building, particularly one that has plaster drying.

Summer yields greater humidity than winter.

Ok, you will be keeping the moisture content high, leaving it had for the fan to take dry out the wall.

Window closed with fan will dry quicker than window open with fan.

stevethespreader";p="2310359 said:
dan your wasting your money using a primer sealer on new skim,most of the painters and spreads i know including myself use a 50-50 mist coat, put the first mist coat on then if you have any snagging, snag and then do the second mist coat then the final coat, the only time ive seen painters use the primer sealer was on a hospital refurb , i asked why they ws using it and the said it was to even out the different backgrounds of old plaster , like if you have old plaster and new plaster and the easifil they was using to snag the old plaster they would use the primer sealer to even it all out so they get a good finish, same as drylining we would use top coat to even the boards and the joints out so it all looks even, ive never seen anyone use it on new skim theres no need

It's a cheap alternative, more work **** finish but each to their own.

Use a contract matt with no vinyl content to prime the plaster. Normally a 70% paint 30% water mixture. The fact that the emulsion has no vinyl means that the plaster will be breathable.

Still don't advise on painting this quickly but this will be the best option! ;)

Use a contract matt with no vinyl content to prime the plaster. Normally a 70% paint 30% water mixture. The fact that the emulsion has no vinyl means that the plaster will be breathable.

Still don't advise on painting this quickly but this will be the best option! ;)

A good informative reply there V'bullit. ;)

That's the way i've always done it, with no problems at all.
Many of these plaster primers and sealers are as always, way over priced.
"Never" use PVA to seal new plaster though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back