Painting Newly Hung Premdor Knotty Pine Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - new question for you. ?i have hung some new knotty solid pine doors and would like to paint white. There are no suitable instructions with the doors about painting and im finding it difficult to find any discussions for painting doors.

Basically i would like to apply a white solution to achieve a non-shiny finish but im not sure if there are any pre-requisites before I attempt this. The doors came untreated and will expand unless properly prepared. With all the information Ihave given, what would the pro's out there do in-order to achieve a good white finish, i.e the sequence of steps and materials needed to achieve a long lasting finish.

The doors I have hung are 2x bedroom and 1xBathroom.

PS:- The doors have been up for a few months now and well a-climatised.

Sponsored Links
With all new pine, unless they have been pre-knotted you must apply a knotting solution to all the knots, this takes mins, and saves a lifetime of grief.
Then use a primer, when dry/next day then you start your undercoating, at least 2 coats, and if your going for eggshell finish which is non shiny, then at least 1 coat, or if you want a nice finish 2 coats.

Dont forget there is different grades of pine doors, some are as rough as anything, so you must sand before you do any knotting or paintwork.
Not only sand them but fill any nicks, knotting holes etc.

What I do is to give doors a good rub down, knot all the knots, then use an oilbase primer.
This is normally a greyish colour, when dry, then I fill any bits that need filling.
When filler dry, I sand down the filler, plus I sand the whole door again.
Then I U/C using oilbase again, when dry, you will see more bits that need filling, as the more white your door goes, the more it will show up imperfections.
Then fill again if need be,when dry, sand down again and do 2nd U/C.

Then if your happy with the coverage and the prep, lightly sand again then apply your first eggshell, and just use your head, if it needs another one do it.

Me personally on new wood, being old fashioned and belonging to the old school, I would start and finish with oil base.

spice said:
With all new pine, unless they have been pre-knotted you must apply a knotting solution to all the knots, this takes mins, and saves a lifetime of grief.
Then use a primer, when dry/next day then you start your undercoating, at least 2 coats, and if your going for eggshell finish which is non shiny, then at least 1 coat, or if you want a nice finish 2 coats.

Dont forget there is different grades of pine doors, some are as rough as anything, so you must sand before you do any knotting or paintwork.

What I do is to give doors a good rub down, knot all the knots, then use an oilbase primer.
This is normally a greyish colour, when dry, then I fill any bits that need filling.
Then I U/C using oilbase again, when dry, you will see more bits that need filling, as the more white your door goes, the more it will show up imperfections.

Then if your happy with the coverage and the prep, lightly sand again then apply your first eggshell, and just use your head, if it needs another one do it.

Me personally on new wood, being old fashioned and belonging to the old school, I would start and finish with oil base.

You need to write a book "spice", hehe......

Ok - just a little extra info before i begin. The doors are made by Premdor and of the knotty pine style. The are sanded to a smooth finish and untreated.

In preperation I have bought: Wood Knot Treatment formula, Dulux Wood Primer, Dulux wood underlay and Dulux EggShell white Emulsion.

I intend to apply knot forumla, then prime, sand,and then apply underlay. Once adequete time given for underlay to dry, i will apply in succession 2 coats of the egg-shell white. Doe this sound reasonible and am I forgetting anything? Cheers people!

Sponsored Links
Er.... I hate to butt in on this thread but... white emulsion on woodwork? This will be the same finish as your walls and ceiling, it will show every finger mark and will not resist knocks. It will not protect the wood from drying and shrinking as it is pourous. As far as I know it is not usual to paint woodwork with emulsion.

If you want a nice matt finish go for a silk or satin wood paint. This doesn't show brush marks or imperfections as much as shiny gloss does. You can get a water-based satinwood - Dulux again I think - for easy brush cleaning.

Whoops did I say emulsion - I got Dulux egg-shell white for wood - Satin. Ill triple check when i get home. Its not gloss.

Also - what is the best method for painting doors? hanging or flat on a work horse?

I always varnish doors standing upright on a couple of bits of batten. If you plan it carefully you can do both sides, which you couldn't do lying flat...

I mean with the door upright. I would already be be standing up of course. Silly me.

Third_Eye said:
spice said:

You need to write a book "spice", hehe......

'War and Peace' has nothing on me ;)

I bang a couple of 3 inch nails partially into the top and bottom edges of the doors so that they can stand upright without any paint touching the floor. I can also handle/move the door without touching the painted surfaces, while it is drying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back