Painting Newly Plastered Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, just had my bathroom walls and ceiling skimmed, and will need to paint them when they are dry.

THe advice given to my wife (I was at work at the time) by the plasterer was once dry, give a coat of diluted pva glue to seal the plaster, then paint.

I was then going to paint it using some kind of "bathroom/kitchen" matt paint from one of the normal DIY stores. However, after doing some reading on here, it would seem many folks say that paint is rubbish....

What advice can you all give me on:

1. Properly preparing the plaster (I've never worked with the stuff before)
2. Properly painting it bearing in mind it's a bathroom

As much detail as possible, however simple it may seem, would be greatly appreciated, I've forked out to get this done and don't want to get it wrong!!!

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Dilute supermatt with water and then i'd use eggshell for bathrooms or kitchen. This specific bathroom paint is just a con.

Thanks Dulux, so I should use the diluted supermatt (white?) instead of the PVA? Will this seal the plaster so it doesn't soak up any moisture from the air?

I wasn't aware you could use eggshell in a bathroom, that's good to know. Can that go on with a roller?

So many questions :)

Just found 2 PDFs on the products you just described which have answered my questions above.

Supermatt is great for walls which are not totally dry and eggshell is great for bathrooms :)

Sorted.

Thanks all, saved me messing around with PVA!

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, saved me messing around with PVA!

Yes, and saved yourself a lot of problems later on when you redecorate.. PVA on bare plaster is for property developers and quick fix merchants who wont be around when you redecorate..

Just to let you know, I followed the instructions above, and it is looking amazing, the finish is so good!

So thanks all, advice was great

Now got a bit of a problem.

I put masking tape round the edges of my tiles while I was painting (using the paints suggested to me above), with the supermatt watered down by 1 water to 3 paint (as per the paint instructions for new walls). Then two coats of eggshell.

Now, I only did the 2nd coat last night, and I thought I'd see if the tape would come off this evening, and when I pulled, it peeled a little of the paint away.

Now, whether using tape was a mistake or not now doesn't matter :) What I need to know is what to do next. I read here that some paints can take up to 30 days to fully cure. Should I leave the tape on for 30 days or will that make things worse? Should I just run a stanley knife along where the tape meets the paint, or should I pull and repaint where it comes off?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back