Painting Novice - Bathroom Bubbling/Peeling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum :)

Sorry if this is a little long:

I'm decorating our family bathroom, I'm a novice at painting although done a few rooms in our previous and current house, generally without issue!

Decided to do the family bathroom thinking it would be easy. Choose a Mould Protection Bathroom Paint to go over the current paint not sure what type was on previously)

All went well round 2 walls of the bathroom, I got to the wall above the window and a massive bubble (like huge!) started to form (I was rollering the walls - brushes at the edges)

Then the wall next to this a small bubble formed. I didn't pop this and left it dry back to the wall.

I popped the large bubble and peeled the paint away...in the ceiling above the large bubble clearly there has been a leak from the roof as there are yellowish stains on the ceiling but there is no leak now and no damp is hitting this area from above.

I peeled and sanded back to plaster board the whole wall with the bubble on and went for a white paint to do the whole room in a base coat before putting on Bathroom Protection paint again.

I have just finished painting the room in the base white but I still couldn't roller the area where the massive bubble was, but I have been able to paint it with a brush and the paint has adhered.

BUT - Have just rollered the ceiling and in the same area where the stain was, the roller just pulled all the pain off in big thick strips of slightly damp paint and pulled it all back to plaster board!

I am completely confused on what to do, do I need to strip the whole ceiling back (like I did with the wall with the bubble on) and walls back to plaster board and start a fresh!?

I've attached a picture if that helps! You can see the water stain on the plaster as well :(

Sorry for the long post, but any help really appreciated! I am at my wits end with this room! It's been a nightmare!!!

Rich

Sponsored Links
Sorry, new to forum, got it now :)

Can get close up's if possible...

The wall below the ceiling where the big bubble was has now let the paint attach but if I rollered it, I'm almost sure the same would happen....again...

Sponsored Links
I would imagine you'd need a sealer for that.
The pro's will be along shortly to better advise.

Cheers mate...I waslooking at the Zinsser Gardz?

Presume I would then have to strip the whole sealing back, or could I just do the bit that's exposed?

Rich

Cheers mate, will see if anyone else has any ideas...

Getting a pain, constantly rubbing things down and repainting them...ARghh!

Anyone?

I've bought some polycell One Coat Damp Seal today from B&Q and think I will try and sand back what I can and then paint the area with this....then paint over the top...

Hope that the top coat looks the same with the rest of the ceiling white...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back