painting on patterned wallaper..

S

snadge

my neighbour (an elderly gentleman) is wanting to paint the enitre downstairs.. he has creamy/beige patterned wall paper where the patterns are darker and more 'spongier' to the touch and he wants to paint over it... he got some testers and it showed the paper slightly absorbing te paint affecting color.. looked like several coats would be needed, I said he may be best white washing and or sealing the walls first? I dunno.. im not a painter.. but he didnt seem to interested due to time consumption... ive told him to try a bit on hidden section of wallpaper to check for reaction

any advice would be great

thanks

Sponsored Links
It sounds like he has a coloured blown vinyl such as Super Fresco. Most of these can be painted successfully but do usually take at least 2 coats. However, with coloured papers, the dyes can occasionally bleed through the paint and may need to be 'locked in' with some type of sealer (Zinsser, oil undercoat etc). If bleeding isn't a problem after testing then it could be worthwhile applying a coat of white first as it is cheaper than coloured paint and will give a more evenly coloured base for the finishing emulsion.
The differing colour on the 'spongy' parts is is due to the differing absorption rates of the initial coat and will usually even out on application of the second.

hi

- its embossed and the embossed sections are softer and more 'absorbent' , spongy to touch - it has thin windy lines down it too which are shiny and smooth..

If it's spongy then it is likely to be an embossed textured vinyl - the shinier, smooth areas you describe pretty much confirm this . A standard embossed paper, such as original Anaglypta, doesn't really feel spongy and the pattern will not 'bounce back' after being pressed. It should also absorb the paint far more evenly.
Either type should be fine if treated as described previously.

Sponsored Links
If it's spongy then it is likely to be an embossed textured vinyl - the shinier, smooth areas you describe pretty much confirm this . A standard embossed paper, such as original Anaglypta, doesn't really feel spongy and the pattern will not 'bounce back' after being pressed. It should also absorb the paint far more evenly.
Either type should be fine if treated as described previously.

thanks misterhelpful, and you really are...lol

yes it is as you describe.

I told him about the sealant/treatment and he didnt like the sound of it all... too much work and cost haha (you know what stingey old folk are like grabbing onto their pennies) - so he gunna throw some paint on a hidden section and watch for reactions..

I explained that we could strip it in little time... see what happens

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back