Painting onto (old) plaster skim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just stripped the walls in my living room back to the bare plaster skim (which is in pretty good nic). What I removed was a top layer of lining paper under which was at least one coat of paint (possibly two). My question now is how do I go about painting the bare walls? Is it the same principle as fresh plaster, ie., an initial coat of watered down emulsion before an undercoat and a top coat? Or has the old plaster already absorbed what it needs to from the old paint, in which case an undercoat and top coat might suffice. Someone also mentioned I could size it with wallpaper paste before painting?

Cheers 

Sponsored Links
I always have approached this sort of job just like any other, however you may want to think about adding an extra layer of paint on just to give the best possible finish!

Put a coat of zinsser gardz on it, this will bind and seal any paste residue and seal the bare plaster

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back