Painting onto plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I plastered a couple of walls on Saturday and was just wondering when I can paint them?

I am using Wickes trade Matt for the mist coat and the 2nd slightly watered down coat and dulux for the other 2.

I was eager and painted the mist coat on last night so I hope this wasn't too soon. The plaster had completely dried on Sunday though

Sponsored Links
Paint it when it’s dry.

The difficulty is in determining how long it takes to dry because that’ll depend on the size of the room, the heat in the room, the airflow through the room, the plaster thickness…

When the plaster is light pink then it’s safe to call it dry. Personally I’d leave it a week, but that’s mainly because I work on my house at the weekend.

I always paint plaster with a mixture made up of one part paint, one part PVA and five parts water. Then I’ll leave it a day before painting with the top coats.

A skim coat it will appear to dry out pretty quickly, usually a couple of days as long as there is some background heat in the room. To be sure all the moisture has escaped, it should be left 7-10 days before painting or tiling over & you’ve jumped the gun a little; I would wait another couple of days at least before you put the final coats on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back