Painting newly plastered room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've heard different things about painting a newly plastered room and wondered what your advice was please?

1. How long after being plastered should be waited until painting? Is it just when the colour goes light pink or should it be extra days/weeks in top of this?
2. A mist coat is needed isn't it? Is that 90% white emulsion paint 10%? What quality of paint can be used? Is it expensive?
3. How many must coats when using a paint pad? How long between each?
4. Can I then just paint onto top with my dulux colour with paint pads? How long after the most coat and long between coats?

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
When pink.

Cheapo contract matt. 25% dilution three quick coats.

Paint pads are rubbish - use a roller.

Brilliant!

1. When you say use a roller would you use this for the two coats of dulux too?
2. What material of rollers are best to use internally with matt emulsion? What sizes do you suggest too?
3. Are ScrewFix/tool station rollers to poor quality?
4. Isn't the finish with pads much smoother and nicer for you own house than rollers? Or difficult to tell?
5. The contract emulsion for misting that you talk about... where would you buy this? Homebase/b&q or is more like brewers (who I find quite expensive but very good quality)? Is it cheapish?

Thanks for that help

chriselevate, i have found paint pads are easier to use on walls than rollers, but i have not tried them on ceilings yet.

The pads seem to me to give a better finish also, but i am not sure about them being cheaper to use than rollers. If the paint pads are also easier on ceilings then the paint pad for me is the better bet.

Have you seen how many little spots of emulsion fly on to the telly or other furniture when using a roller. You certainly don't get that with paint pads.

Sponsored Links
If you buy one of those paint pad sets off the telly, you get different types of pads, they have a small pointed fronts that are spot on for cutting in around sockets, switch's, coving and skirting. When i emulsioned the walls in the past i used to unscrew the switch and socket face plates and paint just behind the plate so as not to smudge the face of the them, now i don't need to, i can cut in easily with the small pointed pad..

So first i go all round the bottoms and tops of walls, then cut in around the switch's etc, finally i get the big pad and do all the rest of the walls and none of those annoying spots of paint flying off the pad. I have not tried it on coving yet, but i will be giving it a go next week, I'll see how it goes.

Its probably a horse's for course's thing, but i prefer the pad by a long shot.

Paint pads are for housewives, pro decorators use roller and pole.

Post in the decorator forum, rather than plastering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back