Painting or papering old board and batten panelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have recently bought a new house around 100 years old. It has old (original?) board and batten panelling in the quite dark hall stairs and landing. The previous owner put embossed paper over the central boards of the panelling and had caused them to discolour and causing the grain to raise so they must either be repapered or painted. I am planning to prime the central boards and paint them but am not sure whether to use lining paper or simply prime them (Zinsser B I N?). However a couple of weeks ago on a George Clark episode he had something similar and simply wall papered them (which I was not convinced by).

Help would be appreciated on

a) Use decorative wallpaper or paint?

b) Prime boards or lining paper before painting

c) Type of paint to use. Matt emulsion? Soft Sheen? Silk?

d) Is Zinsser B I N appropriate to use here. I don't want to use water based primer and need stain inhibitor but I believe Zinsser is very quick drying (I have approx 18 sq m to paint!!)

Many thanks for any assistance in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back