Priming bare plaster board and old

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have been stripping horrible bubbly paper from all the ceilings in my new house and I'm ready to start painting. I have been trying to find the best product to prime the plasterboard with as it was never done before they put the paper on. Some of the board has small tears, but not through to the plaster.

I also have new board that I have put up that I want to paint and I also have sanded wood that was previously varnished.

From the posts I have been reading I feel zinsser products seem to be favoured.
I was going to use Zinsser BullsEye 1-2-3 Primer Sealer on the new plaster board and wood.
And Zinsser Gardz High Performance Sealer for the old plaster board.

Am I going overboard with these products as some people have suggested just use a pva primer? I want the best results I can get and don't want to skip or cut corners.

I plan to wash the surfaces, fill any holes/tears, sand then prime. Then Paint everything with white matt emulsion as an undercoat, then 2 top coats with the chosen colours. Does this sound about right?

Sponsored Links
The gardz is perfect for this job as it will harden up the damaged areas of plasterboard as well as seal it

Sponsored Links
New board doesn't need it if it is bare board. If it is plaster skim etc - then Garz it.

Thanks, I also have a whole load of walls that I have stripped paper off and cleaned with sugar soap. They are now down to painted surface that has small repairs. Should I put the Gardz on them as well or the bulls eye?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back