Painting or sealing old plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope someone can help me! I'm trying to sell my flat and what seems to be putting people off is the smell of ammonia (its definately not urine as the place is empty and the wall the smell is coming from is a partition wall up the side of the stairs and it doesn't reach the ceiling). It seems to be the plaster along the bottom of the wall.... when I paint over it the paint flakes off but the smell seems to be continuous. The house is Victorian and this is a 2nd floor flat. I have been told that ammonia based plaster was used years ago to hold off the curing process?? Is there anything I can do? Either a special paint or do I need to re-plaster it???

Sponsored Links
It will be cheaper to re-plaster it.

Get some of the plastering students from the local college to do it for next to nothing (get the teachers permission first!)

It takes time to sell the house, and the smell may delay the process even more. Plasterers aren't cheap, so future buyers will be noting any faults prior to purchasing, or even asking for a silly deduction in the market price.

(www.zoopla.co.uk)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back