Painting outside of house - what do I need? + How long ladder?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to paint the outside of my house.
I wanted to know what I need?
What is the best paint?
Use rollers I assume? What should I buy? Any particular make?

How many coats? (I want brilliant white.)

IMPORTANTLY: what size ladder do I need?
Not sure if that sounds like a dumb question!!
I need to reach to the top of the house.
I assume most house are standard height?

And... another dumb question... after using where do I store the ladder?
And where would be the best place to get a ladder?

I'm sick and tired of hiring painters. I have 2 bodged jobs that took 5 months to complete. :(

Sponsored Links
OK here is my opinion for what it's worth:p
Dulux smooth weathershield at least two coats.
A fairly long pile roller the tufted ones tend to be better than the flat woven or foam ones.

As a rule of thumb the hight to the gutter on a two story house is around 18 feet give or take a bit, but the angle of the ground needs to be considered as it can affect the hight.

Remember you need to choose your ladder not on it's length but it's working height most will quote how high it will reach (an 18 ft ladder would be vertical on an 18ft wall :eek:) avoid DIY ladders and go for a light trade one.

DIY ladders will often whip and sway when fully extended darn scary and dangerous, light trade are more solid but still light enough to handle.
Go for a three piece ladder it will be easier to store and can be split to use just one or two sections if required.

Ideally go for a branded one like Youngmans but they are expensive just read a few reviews on sites if you are buying on line. The best way is to search for a company near to you then go and have a heft of the ladder to see if it is easy to use.

The last time I bought one was 20 odd years ago from a store near Croydon can't remember their name and doubt they are still there or indeed anywhere near you! I tried a couple before deciding on the one I have, I did try a DIY one it was like a fairground ride:sick: the difference with the heaver one was amazing.
As long as it is secure it's up to you where you can store it.
Treat your self to a ladder stay too great help when using a ladder!(y)

http://www.frankhoward.com/product....MIwuWT3Ob01gIVARbTCh2IzAFxEAQYBCABEgJ-M_D_BwE

Take safety precautions secure the ladder or get it footed by an assistant!

@footprints thanks for the awesome reply.

the problem with a ladder is i don't want to leave a tool ready for some burglars.
hmm... can't think what to do about that!

There are lockable brackets but pretty flimsy in most cases just a bit of bent strap iron! I would try something like this with a hardened chain and closed shackle padlock.

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk...V1jLTCh1DUgKJEAQYAiABEgK_L_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I did something similar with a motor bike and a trailer, in my case I bolted through the precast concrete garage wall with a sturdy plate on the inside.

The alternative is to rent the equipment usually quite reasonable if you do it by the week.

Sponsored Links
i have kind neighbours :)
i found out one of them has a ladder i can borrow
wasn't looking forward to buying at all

Result!
Ask him if he will do it while you read the paper and foot the ladder for him(y)

You will also need a head for heights and maybe some "education" about working at heights from a ladder.

I have extension poles that will reach as far as the guttering on many houses. The only problem is that when rolling at those heights, it is difficult to apply sufficient pressure against the wall that you are rolling.

Unless you are unemployed or tight on cash (sorry not intended to sound snarky), I would suggest that you atleast consider scaffolding. It may cost £300 but you will be able to complete the work much faster- and it is much safer (and doesn't require you to pay someone to "foot" the ladder.

You don't mention if you have to paint the guttering/fascia/soffit. Painting them off a ladder is one thing, sanding and filling off a ladder is quite different.

I have fallen off a ladder (granted it was my fault and fortunately only one story high) but if you fall off who will provide for you? Is it really worth the risk?

The house that I am working on currently- I have the eaves, guttering/etc, bay window sills and pillars, and pebble dashing (the windows are brand new pre-painted sliding sash windows).

I am charging £3850 (incl scaffolding at £450). IF the client had insisted that all the work be done off a ladder, I would need to charge closer to £6000 to achieve the same same quality of finish. It really is a no brainer.

@opps i never thought about the guttering. hmm...
i'll have to have a closer look

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back