Painting Over A Damp Wall - What Can I Do?

4 Apr 2013
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I have a damp problem in my house

The house is rented, and it would have to be niagra falls in here before the landlord would do anything.

I want to paint my room, but there is a large damp patch on the wall, where the paint has peeled / flaked.

Is there anything I can put on this section to try and prevent the flaking, as don't want to paint the entire room, for it to start flaking again within days.
Sponsored Links
You can use any damp specialist paint, have a google. I will say tho that it's only a patch-up job, and damp tends to win in the end.

You could have a look at your rights as a renter - I think damp can cause all sorts of health problems and your landlord should take it seriously. I can never understand some landlords - a house is one of the most expensive things to own and it makes no sense to let it go to ruin. Weird folk!!
Damp rooms are a health hazard. You can get black mould in the end which will get into your lungs and cause permanent damage.

Even if it is cheap, do your self a favour, consider moving. You could approach environmental health in your local council (after giving the landlord fair warning to do something) but at that point your landlord will want you out anyway to give to another unsuspecting soul
No decorating product on this earth is a cure for stuctural damp. All decoration can do is hold it at bay for a while. It will break through again!
Sponsored Links
What is on the other side of this wet wall?

A bathroom? Or a leaking gutter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local