Painting over a gloss ceiling....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have an artexed ceiling with stippled swirls which the previous owners decided to painted with gloss (WHY!!!) now i am going to attempt to decorate the room next weekend and would obviously wish to start with the ceiling, i will be hoping to paint it with a matt paint, the question is how do i go about this??

Do i need to sand the entire ceiling or can i just prime it with watered down PVA?

Would appreciate any info/tips.

Sponsored Links
The best option is to paint the ceiling with a thinned down coat of oil based undercoat. Then treat as normal with emulsion.

thanks for the info, complete newbie, what is an oil based undercoat and how do i go about thinning it?

Sponsored Links
an oil based undercoat is exactly that, just walk into your local paint supplier or diy shop and ask for some white (or whatever colour your painting your ceiling) oil based undercoat.

Its quite thick so use white spirit to thin this down to the constancy of emulsion, about 10-20%. you would need to use to white spirit to wash out your brush and roller after you finished, but this is a bit of a pain, so you could just buy cheap ones and bin them after

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back