Painting over bitumen residue from floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just removed three levels of kitchen floor coverings prior to installing a new kitchen. At the end of this we were left with a layer of some form of bitumen adhesive residue from where old lino had been glued down onto the concrete base.

This was pretty uneven so we - actually my girlfriend ;) - cleaned this off with white spirit and then gave the concrete a good wash down to remove as much of the various flammable substances as possible :)

Before putting down the new self adhesive flooring we figure that sealing over this mess would be prudent. We are currently thinking of using a basic floor paint but are not sure how well this will go down on top of what remains on these substances on the floor.

Any previous experiences or suggestions on what to do and what product to use?

Sponsored Links
You can use latex floor finisher on top of your concrete floor which will take it up from 3mm to 10mm. Info on www.acml.co.uk/sx1.htm .Simply use a hand trowel to spread the material and it will find it own level which will give you a smooth base for whatever you want to do.

If your floor is okay then I would use unibond with part water or floor sealer.

I don't think it's bad enough to need levelling, but the unibond option seems a possible go-er. Ta.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back