Painting over brush marks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I;ve got some quiet visible brush cutting in marks around sockets - after a recent paint job - abiut 3 weeks ago.

I was intending to go over them with a mini roller in the hope the stipple effect would blake it blend in a little more. One of the sales assistants at the Crown shops reckosn this is a bad idea as it will make it stand out more. I cannot remember the specific reason but it was in addition to the risk that the paint will look different because its a new layer.

I ams till thinking of chancing it though.

Any views? Anyone ever done it?

Sponsored Links
Some paints touch up well, some don't.
I think the sales assistant is trying to explain that using a mini roller around a light switch may well leave a different texture to the rest of the wall, making an ugly looking patch, which may well be more noticeable than the brushmarks.
It all depends on how bad the brushmarks are as to whether you need to try and cover them. Usually, the paint colour and texture blend in with each other, even though brushmarks may be visible, but adding an extra coat to a small area will give a thicker paint build up and may also give a slightly different shade.
It's up to you if you want to take the chance because, as I've already said, some paints will touch up perfectly, but I would suggest repainting the whole wall may be necessary if you are not lucky enough to have one of these paints.

Yes, almost certainly touching up with a mini roller could make it look worse.

Sponsored Links
well i tried it

on first glance - the colour matches as it was before so it doesnt stand out but the paint has 'soaked' back into what was there - so even though i did initally leave a rough surface - when the paint dried it just replicated exactly what was there before.

the paint is crown scrubbable matt 'clean extreme'

i'll have another look tonight to see if the colour has changed but looks liek the only way to remedy it would be with somethign a bit more extreme like sanding or scraping! which i dont fancy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back