Painting over damaged banisters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

To say our banisters need a lick of paint is putting it mildly. I'm not sure I have the energy, time, or skills to strip back the paint and do the job properly, but we do need to do something to stop them looking so, well, crappy.

This Flickr album demonstrates some issues I have:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/9332168@N02/albums/72157680453893325

One idea we had was to just strip back the paint to show off the wood, but you can see from the photos that the quality of wood is inconsistent. One post looks like it has some lovely wood under the thick paint, but the not only does the other post not look like wood at all, but the top doesn't even look like one piece. That seems to put paid to the show-off-the-wood idea.

So, will just painting over look OK, or still, well, crappy?

And is there ANYTHING I can do to stop that stupid, but still lovely, cat from prising off the paint?!

TIA

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Paint the banisters, and get a scratching post for the cat, and a catapult for when he goes for the banisters again.

Each spindle will be about 2 hours work (strip, sand, prime, uc, tc).

Cheaper to get them taken out by a chippie, sent to the local strip / dip and refitted.

Sponsored Links
Cheaper still to just buy new spindles !

Not a bad shout, but I bet those are a unique pattern, and getting them new would be a visit to a turners workshop, and that must be £30 (absolute guess) a spindle x whole staircase.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back