painting over emulsion on woodwork.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on a problem.

We are decorating the hall, stairs & landing. I took a lot of time & effort to strip 2 runs of skirting with nitrmors and prepared all the rest of the previously very yellowed, glossed woodwork (sanding, filling etc). I went away for a couple of days with my sister & when I got back my husband (bless him) had emulsioned all the walls. The problem is he emulsioned an inch of all the wood work too while cutting in (as he calls it) Its too late to wipe it off as it has dried.

1. Would it be ok to put wood primer on the bare wood, (which I stripped), followed by undercoat over the emulsion & primer, then finish with satin or do I have to get all the emulsion off some how?

2. Can I just put undercoat over the other emulsioned wood work (which has'nt been stripped) & then put satin on?

Any suggestions to right this problem would be greatly accepted.

Please help to save our marriage!!!!

Lesley Karen

Sponsored Links
Emulsion sticks quite well to bare wood..20,000 site painters cant be wrong!

Dont worry about it too much...give it all a rub down, knot it, prime it using either oil based wood primer (I never bother to be honest) acrylic primer or thinned out undercoat...rub it down again, couple more undercoats then a top coat.

Or one undercoat over the primer and two coats of satin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back