Painting over exterior oil-based paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in France and have, I suspect, done everything wrong in painting my exterior shutters. First, I applied two coats of water based paint, then a coat of oil-based satin finish. But I'd really prefer a matt finish. Could some kind person tell me please (a) was I OK to apply oil-based over water-based, and (b) is there anything I can apply now to change my satin finish to matt? I suspect there is no such thing as oil based matt finish, and that I can't paint over an oil-based paint with a matt water-based. In which case I'm in the merde, as the French would say! [/b][/i]

Sponsored Links
As long as paint was external, the surface was prepared properly and so long as the water based is sound no problem, after all lots of primers are water based.

Very few matt paints for exterior but Superdec satin might be worth looking at it can be applied over other sound finishes.

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/s/SADS/

Bonne chance mon ami ;)

Thanks, footprints. You've reassured me over question (a). I'm still hoping to get some advice on point (b).

Merci!

Sponsored Links
(b) sand down the satin finish and apply eggshell finish.

Not sure of French brands, but Little Greene oil based eggshell is the stuff to get if in UK. (It's called 'coquille d'oeuf' in French).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back