Painting over fresh skim - confused

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey

I've just had my room boarded and skimmed and i'm a little confused on how to go about painting it regardless of reading millions of 'how to paint fresh skim' threads.

It appears to be completely dry (very light washed pink/peach colour) and there is a slight glass/polish effect to it which I heard is a pain to paint over.

So from what i've figured out I need to buy Dulux Trade Supermatt paint and water it down 50% for the first coat, then 30% for the second coat? What about a third coating? Also how long do I leave it before I put the 2nd mist coat on and I just use a normal roller right, I don't have to brush it on?

Sorry for the basic questions but I don't want to F it up :D

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the only trouble with supermatt or any other contract paint is it will get dirty very quickly. you`ll not be able to wipe it down .
just use a vinyl matt . thin the 1st coat as you said but the 2nd won`t need as much and if its covered ok and solid you don`t need a 3rd. but if it looks patchy just give it a 3rd coat.
as for repainting probably an hour would be fine. maybe a bit more if its really cold but the new plaster will suck the moisture out fast.
best advice ? coat it up go have a cup of tea , 2nd coat another cup of tea and then see if it needs a 3rd. if it does toy better put the kettle on again lol
as for rolling makes sure you roll it out well to stop any orange peel effect but the thinned down mist coat (1st coat) should stop that

Thanks mate, i'll get the kettle on :D

I forgot to mention that 1 wall was bonded and then skimmed, will this affect what paint I can use on that wall or is vinyl matt still good for the job?

Ideally the first mist coat should be a trade matt, one that has no vinyl in it. You only need one mist coat before applying the subsequent vinyl matt coats. As mentioned thin those coats slightly to help stop the orange peel effect.

Sponsored Links
So 1 mist coat of Dulux Trade Supermatt thinned down by about 50% and then 1 coat of vinyl matt thinned down at about 25-30% should get the job done? If there are any patches and I need to do a third coating do I just go over it with the same consistency as the 2nd coating?

Thanks

Don't wasted your money on Dulux SuperMatt.
Get your self down to your nearest Dulux decorators centres and get yourself a tub of Gliddens contract matt.
Its made by ICI who make Dulux and its perfect for mist coating and is only £15 for 10L instead of the £40 you would pay for supermatt.

To late, but thanks anyway mate :D

Bought myself 1 5L supermatt and 1 5L vinyl matt, should be good for the job unless I worked it out wrong. Wall coverage is around 40 m2

On the back of the tub it says mix 25:75 water:paint but I thought it was 50:50, what is the right consistency for a mist coat?

Thanks joe, the mist coat went on ok, it felt like it sucked up alot of paint fast though, I got through alot more than what I thought I would have, is this normal for a mist coat?

I managed to nip the floor with my roller which has small bits of old plaster dust on and now I have a small area of paint with old bits of plaster dust in it, can I lightly sand over this with some fine paper?

For my dulux trade vinyl matt coating it says 15:85 water:paint on the back but again I thought it should be watered down by abit more, what is the right consistency ?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back