Painting over gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My living room has nasty yellow gloss paint all over the doors, door frames and the coving. What is the best way to paint over it? Or do I need to strip it down completely? I would like to go for a white gloss finish instead. Anything but the yellow glare!! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
The gloss on the wood work, will need rubbing down to remove the gloss. If the paint is 'sound' that will be ok. If the paint is flakey then you will need to rub back & prime. As far as the coving assuming is plaster, rub to remove the gloss but be carfull not to damage the cardboard.

Thanks, the gloss paintwork seems pretty sound so I'll rub it down. Hand sander I presume? The coving is curved inwards so it will be a pain to sand. I'm guessing you really cant paint over the top of it?

When you say hand sander, do you mean electrical sander of the handheld variety, or sanding by hand? You could probably sand coving by hand.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking of one of those sanding blocks that you use by hand. I guess you could make a nice curved one for the coving. For the doorframes I think I'll attack it with an electric sander... there are a lot of doors!

ajwt2 said:
I was thinking of one of those sanding blocks that you use by hand. I guess you could make a nice curved one for the coving. For the doorframes I think I'll attack it with an electric sander... there are a lot of doors!

:D Just use your hands, wear gloves if you're concerned about breaking your nails / skin etc. If it was me I'd give it all a light sanding, prehaps give it an undercoating, then re-gloss, what could possibly go wrong :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back