Which gloss paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Which is the best gloss paint to use. My son's bedroom is quite a dark room - (nothing we can do about that next doors wall taking the light away) and subsequently the gloss discolours very quickly. Is there a gloss paint I can use which will slow down the yellowing?

Sponsored Links
I hope this is not a smokers house. Tobacco smoke always causes sooty and tarry stains. Less common is an open or gas fire, or faulty boiler, or the use of candles or joss-sticks (anything that causes smoke or soot).

oil-based white paints go yellow with age (though sunlight keeps them whiter)

water-based gloss paints are available, and do not go yellow with age. I would not use them outdoors though as I am not convinced they are so durable or as glossy. You can also use water-based acrylic primer-undercoat indoors. it dries quickly and is easy to flat down and has no strong smell. You can wash the brushes in water and washing-up liquid procided they have not gone hard.

No it is not a smokers house. By looking at other posts its because the room is dark and does not get sunlight. i thought that water based emulsion goes yellow quicker than oil based is that right or wrong. It would be better if I could use the water based gloss because as you say it dries quicker. Would you recommend using the water based gloss and if so can you recommend which brand to buy please?
Thanks

yes, I would use a water-based gloss. I have only used cheapish own-brands of water-based (most of the big DIY sheds buy from major paint companies and are OK) and I have not found independent comparative tests. As a rule if you find a paint that costs four times as much it will not be four times as good, but avoid brands you have never heard of. Try to use the same brand of water-based white acrylic undercoat as well because the makers will have designed it to be compatible. It is very easy to flat off with an extra-fine sandpaper. It needs rubbing down between coats because the water tends to raise the grain.

BTW water-based paint in metal tins makes the tins go rusty in time, so try to get it in a plastic tub unless you will quickly finish the tin in a single room.

I am a householder not a pro.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back