Painting over MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice please!
I had some pipes boxed in using timber batten and (I think) MDF. I primed the batten & MDF but when I tried to put emulsion on it reacted with the MDF and would not adhere. It's covered the batten okay.
I then painted on undercoat hoping emulsion would stick to that, but no luck, it just bounced. I then tried to apply PVA to the undercoated surface but that just ran off!

Why won't it stick and what do I do now? Gloss it then emulsion? Or buy a matching colour in an oil based produced such as Satinwood?

Sponsored Links
What did you prime it with, and applying PVA was a big mistake.

Dec

I just bought a general primer. The undercoat went over it okay so I don't understand why the emulsion wont. (Someone advised me to usePVA but it was clearly not good advice! It didn't cover anyway so I wiped it off!)

Sponsored Links
I think that your best course of action would be to sand the area untill smoothe and apply a coat of thinned oil based undercoat and allow to dry overnight, if then any areas require filling then fill them using the appropiate filler and when dry lightly sand and dust off.

If filling was required apply another coat of thinned oil based undercoat, you could use a thinned emulsion if you wish yet in your situation I would tend to go the undercoat route. Regarding your Emulsion thin it down a little and don't apply it two thickly, and in future never ever apply PVA to any surface that you intend to paint.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back